Expert in Chronic Pain Management Joins International Medical Cannabis Company
LONDON — International medical cannabis company Akanda Corp. (“Akanda” or the “Company”) today announced that it has named Dr. Sunny Nayee as its new UK Medical Director. The appointment of Dr. Nayee, a pain treatment expert with direct experience in cannabis therapies, builds upon the company’s partnership with Cellen Life Sciences by combining one of the UK’s top prescribing doctors of medical cannabis with one of the UK’s first fully-digital pain clinics to greatly expand patient access. At Akanda, Dr. Nayee will be responsible for monitoring and improving the overall level of care provided to medical patients in the UK, as well as helping assess expansion into other international markets.
Dr. Nayee joins Akanda from the Lyphe Group, a cannabis clinical telehealth and dispensing ecosystem, where he served as Medical Director. Dr. Nayee has been prescribing cannabis to his patients since 2019, and currently treats in excess of 1,000 patients. Under his leadership at Lyphe, The Medical Cannabis Clinics became the first ever cannabis clinic to receive a “good” rating from the Care Quality Commission.
“It is an honor to welcome Dr. Nayee to the Akanda team as we work to build the first seed-to-patient model, serving medical cannabis patients in the UK and Europe,” commented Tej Virk, Akanda’s CEO. “Dr. Nayee is a renowned pain treatment expert with direct experience in cannabis therapies. This makes him the ideal face of Akanda for patients. I’m looking forward to having Dr. Nayee by our side as we build a patient-oriented supply chain in the UK and eventually other international markets.”
“My focus has always been on accurately diagnosing patients then giving them access to the best treatment options available,” added Dr. Nayee. “I’m excited to join up with Akanda and Cellen to play a fundamental role in helping to democratize access to medical cannabis for patients in need.”
Dr. Nayee’s role comes at a pivotal time for the company as Akanda recently signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Cellen Life Sciences, a health tech company that provides treatment to chronic pain patients through its digital pain clinic, Leva Clinic. Sunny will be working closely with Cellen to enable Akanda to better address unmet healthcare needs of patients globally, starting with the UK. The MOU established a formal working relationship to optimize medical cannabis supply chain activities across Cellen and Akanda business interests, to increase supply and choice for patients in the UK.
Dr. Nayee has a distinguished and prize winning career. He trained at Cambridge University Medical School and is on staff at Imperial College Healthcare Trust, London’s Leading University Hospital. Dr. Nayee has been awarded the Industry Leading Canex “Superdoc” Award for being a “been a true advocate for medical cannabis and an adamant educator.” He also holds prizes from the NHS Strategic Health Authority’s innovation committee and Royal College of General Practitioners for work related to patient safety. He presents widely and most recently published research reviewing the safety and effectiveness of medical cannabis treatment for the treatment of chronic refractory pain, including presenting at the National Patient Safety Conference. He continues to work collaboratively with research teams at the University of Sydney Quest Research Group, Drug Science and BOD science. He plays an active role in multiple professional bodies including the British Pain Society, Spinal Interventional Society, World Institute of Pain and the European Pain Federation.
About Akanda Corp.
Akanda is an international medical cannabis and wellness platform company seeking to help people lead better lives through improved access to high quality and affordable products. The company is building a seed-to-patient supply chain, connecting patients in the UK and Europe with diverse products including cannabis products cultivated at its competitively advantaged grow operation in the Kingdom of Lesotho and with other trusted third-party brands. Akanda’s initial portfolio includes Bophelo Bioscience & Wellness, a GACP qualified cultivation campus in the Kingdom of Lesotho in Southern Africa, and CanMart, a UK-based fully licensed pharmaceutical importer and distributor which supplies pharmacies and clinics within the UK.
Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-Looking Information and Statements
This press release contains certain “forward-looking information” within the meaning of applicable Canadian securities legislation and may also contain statements that may constitute “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of the safe harbor provisions of the United States Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such forward-looking information and forward-looking statements are not representative of historical facts or information or current condition, but instead represent only Akanda’s beliefs regarding future events, plans or objectives, many of which, by their nature, are inherently uncertain and outside of Akanda’s control. Generally, such forward-looking information or forward-looking statements can be identified by the use of forward-looking terminology such as “plans”, “expects” or “does not expect”, “is expected”, “budget”, “scheduled”, “estimates”, “forecasts”, “intends”, “anticipates” or “does not anticipate”, or “believes”, or variations of such words and phrases or may contain statements that certain actions, events or results “may”, “could”, “would”, “might” or “will be taken”, “will continue”, “will occur” or “will be achieved”. Forward-looking information may relate to anticipated events or results including, but not limited to business strategy, product development and sales and growth plans.
The forward-looking information and forward-looking statements contained in this press release are made as of the date of this press release, and Akanda does not undertake to update any forward-looking information and/or forward-looking statements that are contained or referenced herein, except in accordance with applicable securities laws.
This press release shall not constitute an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy any securities, nor shall there be any sale of securities in any state or jurisdiction in which such offer, solicitation or sale would be unlawful prior to registration or qualification under the securities laws of any such state or jurisdiction.
- Minority Cannabis Academy: Social Equity in PracticeThe Minority Cannabis Academy graduated its first class of 25 students in September. The Academy’s goal is to take advantage of the social equity atmosphere in New Jersey to help those most harmed by prohibition.
- Marijuana Policy Project Releases Voter Guide to 2022 Governors’ Races and Cannabis Policy Reform Ahead of Midterm ElectionOn Tuesday, the Marijuana Policy Project (MPP) released their voter guide to 2022 governors’ races and cannabis policy reform. In 36 states, voters will be choosing their next governor on Election Day.
- Green Thumb to Launch “RISE Express” Dispensaries in FloridaGreen Thumb Industries Inc., a leading national cannabis consumer packaged goods company and owner of RISE Dispensaries, today announced plans to expand its medical retail footprint in Florida through a lease agreement with Circle K, the global convenience store retailer.
- Missouri AFL-CIO endorses cannabis legalization constitutional amendmentMissouri AFL-CIO president Jake Hummel on Thursday announced his organization was endorsing the proposal, which will appear on the Nov. 8 ballot as Amendment 3, calling it a “huge step forward for criminal justice reform in Missouri.”
- Minnesota’s Black cannabis users far more likely to face arrest than white onesBlack Minnesotans are nearly five times as likely to be arrested on marijuana charges as white ones, according to the latest data from the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. It’s a disparity that has persisted for years, despite data showing that Black and white residents use cannabis at similar rates.
- Lawmakers ask MO governor to add cannabis legalization in special sessionA bipartisan group of lawmakers and activists are calling for Missouri Gov. Mike Parson to include marijuana legalization on the agenda of the legislature’s upcoming special session.
- In Brief: Pa. Governor Accepting Cannabis Pardon Requests in Sept.Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf and Lt. Gov. John Fetterman announce the PA Marijuana Pardon Program, offering expedited pardon reviews to people convicted of only minor cannabis possession for personal use.
- Michigan State Police stops cannabis testing after false positivesMichigan State Police have acknowledged that its blood tests for marijuana are producing false positives for THC, and it will immediately halt testing.
- Missouri Dems expect boost from cannabis, but split on specificsSupport for legalization and heartburn about the amendment’s details have led to soul-searching among Democratic Party officials across the state. The consternation is particularly acute among Black Democratic leaders.
- Signatures on Nebraska medical cannabis petitions to get another lookThe Nebraska Secretary of State’s Office has agreed to take another look at signatures submitted by a group seeking legalization of medical marijuana to determine if they should have been counted.