NEW YORK & GREENWOOD VILLAGE, Colo. — ANANDA Scientific Inc., a research focused bio-pharmaceutical company today announced approval by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) of the IND application for a clinical trial evaluating Nantheia™ A1002N5S, an investigational drug using cannabidiol (CBD) in ANANDA’s proprietary Liquid Structure™ delivery technology as a potential treatment for Social Anxiety Disorder. The National Center for Complimentary and Integrative Health (HCCIH-a division of the NIH) is providing funding for this trial which will be conducted at the NYU Grossman School of Medicine. (Clinical Trials.gov Identifier: NCT05571592)
The Principal Investigators for the trial are Naomi Simon, MD, MSc., Professor of Psychiatry and Director of Anxiety, Stress and Prolonged Grief Program at the NYU Grossman School of Medicine and Esther Blessing, MD, PhD, Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at NYU Grossman School of Medicine. This double-blind placebo-controlled trial will study Nantheia™ A1002N5S versus placebo over a 21-day treatment period with the primary outcome measures being the change in Trier Social Stress Test (TSST) induced Anxiety and impact on a neuroimaging biomarker.
“We are delighted to be moving forward with this important study to develop new evidence-based treatments for Social Anxiety Disorder, a distressing and under-addressed condition,” said Dr Simon.
Dr. Blessing noted, “It is exciting to be moving forward with clinical trials that build upon promising preclinical results for CBD as a treatment for anxiety disorders.”
“We are very pleased to again be working with Dr Simon and Dr Blessing on this important trial that could impact the lives of a large number of people,” said Sohail R. Zaidi, ANANDA’s CEO. “We look forward to further advancing applications for our investigational drug Nantheia A1002N5S in an indication with a significant unmet medical need.”
About ANANDA Scientific
ANANDA is a leading research-focused biopharmaceutical company pioneering high-caliber clinical studies evaluating therapeutic indications such as PTSD, Radiculopathic Pain, Anxiety and Opioid Use Disorder (Mt. Sinai and UCLA). The company employs patented delivery technology, (licensed from Lyotropic Delivery Systems (LDS) Ltd, in Jerusalem, Israel) to make cannabinoids and plant derived compounds bioavailable, water soluble, and shelf-life stable and focuses on producing effective, premium pharmaceutical products.
- Minority Cannabis Academy: Social Equity in PracticeThe Minority Cannabis Academy graduated its first class of 25 students in September. The Academy’s goal is to take advantage of the social equity atmosphere in New Jersey to help those most harmed by prohibition.
- Marijuana Policy Project Releases Voter Guide to 2022 Governors’ Races and Cannabis Policy Reform Ahead of Midterm ElectionOn Tuesday, the Marijuana Policy Project (MPP) released their voter guide to 2022 governors’ races and cannabis policy reform. In 36 states, voters will be choosing their next governor on Election Day.
- Green Thumb to Launch “RISE Express” Dispensaries in FloridaGreen Thumb Industries Inc., a leading national cannabis consumer packaged goods company and owner of RISE Dispensaries, today announced plans to expand its medical retail footprint in Florida through a lease agreement with Circle K, the global convenience store retailer.
- Missouri AFL-CIO endorses cannabis legalization constitutional amendmentMissouri AFL-CIO president Jake Hummel on Thursday announced his organization was endorsing the proposal, which will appear on the Nov. 8 ballot as Amendment 3, calling it a “huge step forward for criminal justice reform in Missouri.”
- Minnesota’s Black cannabis users far more likely to face arrest than white onesBlack Minnesotans are nearly five times as likely to be arrested on marijuana charges as white ones, according to the latest data from the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. It’s a disparity that has persisted for years, despite data showing that Black and white residents use cannabis at similar rates.
- Lawmakers ask MO governor to add cannabis legalization in special sessionA bipartisan group of lawmakers and activists are calling for Missouri Gov. Mike Parson to include marijuana legalization on the agenda of the legislature’s upcoming special session.
- In Brief: Pa. Governor Accepting Cannabis Pardon Requests in Sept.Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf and Lt. Gov. John Fetterman announce the PA Marijuana Pardon Program, offering expedited pardon reviews to people convicted of only minor cannabis possession for personal use.
- Michigan State Police stops cannabis testing after false positivesMichigan State Police have acknowledged that its blood tests for marijuana are producing false positives for THC, and it will immediately halt testing.
- Missouri Dems expect boost from cannabis, but split on specificsSupport for legalization and heartburn about the amendment’s details have led to soul-searching among Democratic Party officials across the state. The consternation is particularly acute among Black Democratic leaders.
- Signatures on Nebraska medical cannabis petitions to get another lookThe Nebraska Secretary of State’s Office has agreed to take another look at signatures submitted by a group seeking legalization of medical marijuana to determine if they should have been counted.