Richard Drexler, former CEO and Chairman of the Board at Quality Products, and Jeff Goldman, seasoned entrepreneur with expertise in CPG brand-building, join Board of Directors
CHICAGO and VANCOUVER, British Columbia — Green Thumb Industries Inc. (Green Thumb) (CSE: GTII) (OTCQX: GTBIF), a leading national cannabis consumer packaged goods (CPG) company and owner of RISE Dispensaries, today announced that Richard Drexler, a proven financial executive who currently serves as Chairman of the Audit and Finance Committee at Bison Gear and Engineering and previously served as CEO and Chairman of the Board at Quality Products, and Jeff Goldman, a seasoned entrepreneur with expertise in CPG brand-building, will join the Company’s board of directors. Drexler will assume the role of Chair of the Audit Committee in this new capacity. The appointments follow the resignation of three board members, William Gruver, Glen Senk and Dorri McWhorter. The resigning directors informed management that their cause for resignation was not related to Green Thumb’s business performance, operations, financial performance, financial statements or financial controls, but rather over a disagreement as to the Company’s policies and practices related to personal misconduct. It became clear that the former directors and existing management could not find a resolution satisfactory to all parties.
“There comes a time in a company’s evolution that a change in leadership is required, and we regret that there was an impasse with the former board members,” said Green Thumb Founder, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Ben Kovler. “There are massive opportunities in front of us and we now have a board aligned with management to provide increased shareholder value. As we enter this next phase for the company, Richard’s financial discipline and Jeff’s strategic brand experience will help us continue to win as we deliver on our long-term vision.”
Drexler was CEO and later Chairman of the Board at Quality Products, a manufacturer and distributor of products for aircraft ground support equipment for the military and hydraulic machine tool markets. Under his leadership, Drexler orchestrated strategic changes that pulled the company out of debt and resulted in significant positive cash flow. In addition to his role at Quality Products, Drexler held senior advisory roles at several multi-million dollar manufacturing and product companies.
“GTI has proven itself as a truly remarkable cannabis company with a strong purpose,” said Drexler. “I am thrilled to join Ben and the team at such a pivotal time and drive growth and operational excellence as we help deliver on the Company’s growth strategies to maximize shareholder value.”
Goldman is a brand veteran and seasoned entrepreneur that has operated and scaled multiple CPG businesses. Under his leadership, Goldman has grown Carol’s Cookies, a family-owned business founded by his mother in 1979, into a multi-million dollar, nationally distributed brand by successfully partnering with Fortune 500 companies such as Whole Foods Market and Sysco Foodservice. In addition to his role with Carol’s Cookies, Goldman was the owner and operator of Reed-Union Corporation, known for the top-selling automotive appearance brand in North America, Nu Finish. As the head of domestic and international sales, Goldman forged partnerships with Fortune 100 companies such as Walgreens, Target, Walmart and AutoZone. In 2018, Jeff orchestrated the sale of the company’s brands to Energizer Holdings.
“I’m honored to join Green Thumb, a company creating some of the most iconic brands within the cannabis space,” said Goldman. “Their ability to innovate with products and create brands and retail environments that resonate with consumers is extremely valuable. I am excited to work alongside Ben and the entire team to ensure that GTI remains the undisputed market leader.”
Senk served as Chair of the Executive Committee and a member of the Audit and Compensation Committees. Gruver served as Chair of the Audit Committee and a Member of the Executive Committee. McWhorter served as a member of the Audit Committee.
About Green Thumb Industries:
Green Thumb Industries Inc. (“Green Thumb”), a national cannabis consumer packaged goods company and retailer, promotes well-being through the power of cannabis while giving back to the communities in which it serves. Green Thumb manufactures and distributes a portfolio of branded cannabis products including &Shine, Beboe, Dogwalkers, Doctor Solomon’s, Good Green, incredibles and RYTHM. The company also owns and operates rapidly growing national retail cannabis stores called RISE. Headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, Green Thumb has 17 manufacturing facilities, 77 open retail locations and operations across 15 U.S. markets. Established in 2014, Green Thumb employs approximately 4,000 people and serves millions of patients and customers each year. The company was named to Crain’s Fast 50 list in 2021 and 2022 and a Best Workplace by MG Retailer magazine in 2018, 2019 and 2021. More information is available at www.GTIgrows.com.
Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-Looking Information
This press release contains statements which may constitute “forward-looking information” within the meaning of applicable securities laws. Forward-looking information is often identified by the words “may,” “would,” “could,” “should,” “will,” “intend,” “plan,” “anticipate,” “believe,” “estimate,” “expect,” or similar expressions and include information regarding the filing of the Documents and the timing thereof. The forward‐looking information in this news release is based upon the expectations of future events which management believes to be reasonable. Any forward‐looking information speaks only as of the date on which it is made, and, except as required by law, Green Thumb does not undertake any obligation to update or revise any forward‐looking information, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise. The forward‐looking information in this news release is subject to a variety of known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that could cause actual events or results to differ from those express or implied. When considering these forward‐looking statements, readers should keep in mind the risk factors and other cautionary statements in Green Thumb’s public filings with the applicable securities regulatory authorities, including with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission on its website at www.sec.gov and with Canada’s System for Electronic Document Analysis and Retrieval (SEDAR) at www.sedar.com, as well as on Green Thumb’s website at https://investors.gtigrows.com, including the in the “Risk Factors” section of the Company’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2021.
- Minority Cannabis Academy: Social Equity in PracticeThe Minority Cannabis Academy graduated its first class of 25 students in September. The Academy’s goal is to take advantage of the social equity atmosphere in New Jersey to help those most harmed by prohibition.
- Marijuana Policy Project Releases Voter Guide to 2022 Governors’ Races and Cannabis Policy Reform Ahead of Midterm ElectionOn Tuesday, the Marijuana Policy Project (MPP) released their voter guide to 2022 governors’ races and cannabis policy reform. In 36 states, voters will be choosing their next governor on Election Day.
- Green Thumb to Launch “RISE Express” Dispensaries in FloridaGreen Thumb Industries Inc., a leading national cannabis consumer packaged goods company and owner of RISE Dispensaries, today announced plans to expand its medical retail footprint in Florida through a lease agreement with Circle K, the global convenience store retailer.
- Missouri AFL-CIO endorses cannabis legalization constitutional amendmentMissouri AFL-CIO president Jake Hummel on Thursday announced his organization was endorsing the proposal, which will appear on the Nov. 8 ballot as Amendment 3, calling it a “huge step forward for criminal justice reform in Missouri.”
- Minnesota’s Black cannabis users far more likely to face arrest than white onesBlack Minnesotans are nearly five times as likely to be arrested on marijuana charges as white ones, according to the latest data from the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. It’s a disparity that has persisted for years, despite data showing that Black and white residents use cannabis at similar rates.
- Lawmakers ask MO governor to add cannabis legalization in special sessionA bipartisan group of lawmakers and activists are calling for Missouri Gov. Mike Parson to include marijuana legalization on the agenda of the legislature’s upcoming special session.
- In Brief: Pa. Governor Accepting Cannabis Pardon Requests in Sept.Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf and Lt. Gov. John Fetterman announce the PA Marijuana Pardon Program, offering expedited pardon reviews to people convicted of only minor cannabis possession for personal use.
- Michigan State Police stops cannabis testing after false positivesMichigan State Police have acknowledged that its blood tests for marijuana are producing false positives for THC, and it will immediately halt testing.
- Missouri Dems expect boost from cannabis, but split on specificsSupport for legalization and heartburn about the amendment’s details have led to soul-searching among Democratic Party officials across the state. The consternation is particularly acute among Black Democratic leaders.
- Signatures on Nebraska medical cannabis petitions to get another lookThe Nebraska Secretary of State’s Office has agreed to take another look at signatures submitted by a group seeking legalization of medical marijuana to determine if they should have been counted.